Marketers who treat their male and female customers as if they make similar decisions: there’s yet another study that flies in the face of that assertion.

A new study finds that if you think it’s alright to text and drive since you’re an above average driver, then there’s a pretty good chance you’re a guy.

Recent findings published in the International Journal of Sustainable Strategic Management uncovered that 4 out of 5 college students texted while driving, and females were less likely than males to ignore the dangers of texting and driving on the basis of their driving skills.

The authors of the study, Garold Lantz and Sandra Loeb, are  marketing professors at Kings College, in Wilkes Barre, Pa, and surveyed 120 male and female students to arrive at their findings, which included the number 82. That’s the number of texts that the students, on average, sent on a daily basis. Females send more messages, and are even more impulsive when it comes to their texting, but are able to curtail that impulse to an extent when it comes to texting and driving.

While a majority of people believe they are good at multitasking, studies have suggest suggested that only 2.5 percent of us can multitask and remain effective – so if you text and drive, there’s a much better chance you’re on that other 97.5 percent.

Another thought coming out of reading this study: does this mean it’s actually safer for marketers to send text messages to females rather than males?

Photo credit: The Huntsville Times